Installing a Counter Top Water Filter
Installation of most counter top filter systems are quick and easy, requiring no tools, with simple instructions. Systems usually ship completely assembled with the following:
Diverter Valve • Filter Housing/s • Filter Cartridge/s • Tubing • Drinking Faucet
Filter LocationYour water filter should be installed on the counter top, next to sink. Temperatures below freezing should be avoided.
Diverter Valve Installation
Unscrew the standard diffuser/aerator at the end of your kitchen faucet, replacing it with the diverter valve. Connect to a potable water supply line only.
Threaded adaptor rings are included in case you have a non-standard faucet size.
Unit Installation: Place housing on counter next to the sink, so the spout drains into the sink.
Water Filter Start Up
1. Prior to start-up, check all connections, be sure they are secure.
2. Turn on diverter valve and check for leaks. Turn off and correct leaks if leaks occur. Older faucets handles or levers may need washer replacements.
3. Close diverter valve and wait five minutes to see if leaks result.
Note: when the system is first turned on, water may intermittently "spurt" from the air gap opening on the side of air gap faucets. Also, harmless carbon dust particles will be flushed out at first use. This is common and will correct itself immediately.
Counter Top Water Filter Replacement
Your drinking water system contains a filter cartridge, which must be replaced periodically for proper operation. Most water filter cartridges have a 1000 gallon life span. Filter replacement may be amended according to source water conditions.
Water Filter Cartridge Replacement Procedure
1. Close feed water.
2. Loosen and remove filter housings and discard cartridges.
3. Wash the inside of the housings using mild detergent and a soft cloth. Thoroughly rinse all soap before reassembly.
4. Check to see that the o-ring is sitting flat in the housing.
5. Replace filter cartridge/s:
- Vented end up - for free standing counter-top systems
- Vented end down - for hanging undersink systems
6. Screw on housing covers, being careful not to over tighten. Purge air and new carbon dust. Check for leaks.
7. Start drinking more water !
Off the shelf filter media can target specific contamination concerns. Example shown:
1 M Filter pad
15% Activated alumina
70% GAC carbon
Estimated lifespan, 6-12 months, approximately 800 gallons when treating typical municipal water.
Heartspring Staff are assistants of board reviewed doctors that are medical editors, authors, and reviewers, providing oversight for Heartspring.net. This article is currently undergoing doctor reveiw.
Counter Top Water Filters
Filter media configurations for portable counter top water filters.