Alkaline and Acidic Water Experiments Using Common Foods and Drinks
Common foods and beverages show different levels of pH from acid to alkaline when tested using a simple pH test kit that is included with most ionized water filters.
Checking the pH of Ionized Drinking Water
Check the pH (potential hydrogen) of the water from your unit through all the levels from acid to alkaline.
- Line up a few small glasses starting at the lowest setting on your machine (3.5) (acidic) up to the highest setting (10.0) (alkaline). Put a few inches of water from each setting on the unit in the corresponding glasses.
- Add 3-4 drops of the reagent (from PH test kit) to each glass.
- The water should start at an orange color (at the 3.5 or 4.0 level) all the way through yellow, light green, green, blue, purple and dark purple at the highest PH level of 10.0. You should start your drinking water at 7.0 or 7.5 neutral (green) and gradually work up to a higher PH, not exceeding 9.5 for maximum benefits.
Checking the pH of Common Foods and Beverages
An experiment you can try at home will show the high acidity content of common foods and beverages and how they are neutralized by alkaline water. You will need: vodka, soda i.e. Sprite, sports drink, bottled water, piece of raw chicken, white flour.
- Put a small amount of vodka in a large (at least 12 oz) glass, do the same with the water, sports drink, and soda
- Drop 3-4 drops of reagent in each glass. The Sprite and vodka should turn bright reddish-orange and the sports drink and water should turn yellow. This illustrates that these beverages are acidic to extremely acidic.
- Now add a few drops of reagent to a large glass of 10.0 alkaline water. Slowly add the alkaline water to the vodka. Notice how the alkaline water has neutralized the acid by the water changing from yellow to bluish.
- Next you will repeat the process with the soda. Notice how much more alkaline water it takes to neutralize(turn neutral or alkaline) the acid in the soda. Repeat processes with the sports drink and the water to see how much alkaline water it takes to neutralize them as well. Remember if you are using 9.0 or 9.5 water you will need more.
- You can test a few small pieces of raw chicken by placing it in a glass with a little 9.0 water, notice how the water is yellow (acidic), now add 10.0 water to it to see how much water it takes to turn it from an acidic meal to an alkaline meal. You can repeat the process with the flour. To help balance your Ph levels, without completely changing your diet, drink more alkaline water and add more alkaline foods to our diets. 1 To help keep your balance, think green, such as, green and colored vegetables, most fruits (with the exception of blueberries cranberries and canned) including alkalizing proteins such as almonds, tofu and tempeh. Here you find a chart of alkaline and acid foods and drinks. www.essense-of-life.com/info/foodchart.htm
The Benefits of Reducing Acidic Foods
Limiting high acidic foods such as meat, eggs, dairy, fish and certain grains is crucial.to maintaining a healthy alkaline-acid balance. 2 The problem is that when we continue to ingest acidic foods and drinks, we use up our body's limited supply of alkaline buffers and they become unavailable to neutralize the other acidic waste products continually produced by our bodies, including organic by-products of digestion such as acetic acid, lactic acid, carbonic acid and uric acid. 3 When we don't have enough alkaline buffers to neutralize these acidic waste products, our bodies sustain health damage and become a breeding ground for cancer cells. Cancer cells cannot grow in an alkaline environment, but cancer and disease thrive in an acidic environment. 4 An acid waste build up can create such an environment (ex: build up in the joints causes arthritis) Arteriosclerosis, Osteoporosis, Obesity and Gout are among the very many ailments caused by acid waste build up. 5 Oxidants(free-radicals) occur at the celluar level, where cells are attacked, these radicals come from air, food and drink. 6 Oxidation= aging. Alkaline water has anti-oxidant properties. 7
Making Tea with Alkaline water
Another experiment to try using alkaline water is the cold water tea experiment:
- Add loose tea to cold tap water. The color of the water stays the same.
- Add same amount of tea to 9.0 - 9.5 or 10.0 alkaline water to see the tea's constituents dissolved rapidly. The fragrance of the tea can be noticed.
This an example of water efficacy. This is explained by the molecular structure (smaller clusters) of electrolyzed water penetrating more readily into the cell walls of humans for better and faster absorption into the blood and throughout the entire body than regular bottled or tap water. Nutrients from food are absorbed more thoroughly as well.
Uses and Benefits of Acidic Ionized Water
Now that we have seen some examples of how alkaline water can neutrailize harmful acidic toxins, there are also benefits to using acidic water from your ionizer.
Here are a few examples:
- Use as facial wash or astringent
- Sterilize cutting boards, dishware, kitchen utensils 8
- Anti-bacterial and anti-infection properties in case of burns or minor abrasions 9
- Gargling with acidic ionized water can help prevent periodontitis and mouth ulcers 10
- Food composition and acid-base balance: alimentary alkali depletion and acid load in herbivores. Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Ruhr-University, 44780 Bochum, Germany. PMID:18203917
- Estimated net acid excretion inversely correlates with urine pH in vegans, lacto-ovo vegetarians, and omnivores. Gerald J. and Dorothy R. Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts. PMID:18721741
- Acid-alkaline balance: role in chronic disease and detoxification. Information Integration and Innovation at Metagenics, Inc., Gig Harbor, Washington USA. PMID:17658124
- Metabolic changes during carcinogenesis: potential impact on invasiveness. Centre for Mathematical Biology, Mathematical Institute, Oxford, UK. PMID:17055536
- Low estimates of dietary acid load are positively associated with bone ultrasound in women older than 75 years of age with a lifetime fracture. Osteoporosis Consultation, Lausanne University Hospital, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland. PMID:18567759
- Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovakia. PMID:16978905
- Alteration of physical, chemical, and biological properties of endotoxin by treatment with mild alkali. Department of Medical Microbiology/Immunology, University of Minnesota, Duluth USA. PMID:4887496
- Strongly acidic electrolyzed water: valuable disinfectant of endoscopes. Digestive Endoscopy
- The evaluation of periodontal status by the chemical composition of the oral media. PMID:10693340
Heartspring Staff are assistants of board reviewed doctors that are medical editors, authors, and reviewers, providing oversight for Heartspring.net. This article is currently undergoing doctor reveiw.
Clean Drinking Water
Topics include filtration systems, mineral water and health affects.